The “tummy tuck” is a cosmetic surgical procedure to enhance the appearance of the abdomen. If you’ve got too much flab or excess skin in your abdomen that doesn’t respond to diet or exercise, then a tummy tuck is the best option for you. The medical term for tummy tuck used by doctors is “Abdominoplasty.”
The tummy tuck procedure flattens the abdomen by removing extra fat and skin, and tightening muscles in your abdominal wall. During a tummy tuck treatment, the excess skin and fat are removed from the abdomen. Connective tissue in the abdomen (fascia) generally is tightened with sutures as well. The remaining skin is then repositioned to generate a more toned look.
Why is it done?
There are several reasons that you might have excess fat, poor elasticity of the skin or weakened connective tissue in your abdomen. These reasons include:
- Significant changes in weight
- Abdominal surgery
- Natural body type
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Are the Best Candidates For a Tummy Tuck?
- A tummy tuck procedure is appropriate for men and women who are in good health.
- Women who have had several pregnancies may find the procedure useful for tightening their abdominal muscles and reducing skin.
- A tummy tuck procedure is also a good option for someone who was once obese and still have excess fat deposits or loose skin around the belly.
Who Should Not Consider a Tummy Tuck?
- If you’re a woman who plans to get pregnant, then you may want to postpone a tummy tuck until you’re done having children. As during surgery, the vertical muscles are tightened, and future pregnancies can separate those muscles.
- If you’re planning to lose a lot of weight: In such cases tummy tuck is not for you. It should not be used as an alternative to weight loss.
- If you have a severe chronic condition, such as heart disease or diabetes then tummy tuck is not for you.
- If you have a habit of smoking then tummy tuck is not an option for you.
- If you have a body mass index greater than 30 then you should not opt for tummy tuck.
Who is the Ideal Candidate for tummy tuck?
The ideal tummy tuck candidates include patients who have a stable weight and are looking to remove stubborn fat and skin that they cannot remove through exercise and diet alone.
The motive behind a tummy tuck is to create a smoother abdomen. The surgeon at Dermapuritys does this by removing stubborn fat and loose skin that cannot be lost through exercise and diet alone.
How can you prepare for tummy tuck?
Initially, you’ll talk to a surgeon at Dermapuritys about a tummy tuck. During your first visit, your surgeon will likely:
- Review your medical history and will evaluate your current and past medical conditions.
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any medications.
- Discuss your expectations. Explain why you want a tummy tuck, and what you’re hoping for in terms of appearance after the procedure. Ensure to understand the benefits and risks, including scarring.
- Apart from that, before a tummy tuck you might also need to stop smoking, avoid certain medications, maintain a stable weight, etc.
RESULTS OF TUMMY TUCK
A tummy tuck treatment can give your abdomen a more toned and slimmer appearance by removing excess skin and fat and strengthening your abdominal wall. Tummy tuck results are usually long lasting if you maintain a stable weight.